Living in Marine Gate is unique compared with other apartments in Brighton. The service charge includes many additional services not found in other blocks. These include:
- Rubbish and recycling collection Monday – Saturday from outside each flat
- 24 hour on site security guard with comprehensive CCTV coverage of the building and grounds
- Daily cleaning of main common ways
- No water charges
- Constant hot water
- Background heating (October – March) fired by our modern gas boiler plant in the basement
- Mains and soft water supplied by our central water softener
- An on-site manager and maintenance personnel
- Other on-site facilities include luggage storage, a library, car wash facilities and friendly social scene including an annual garden party
On purchasing an apartment, each owner will acquire a number of ‘A shares’ in Marine Gate Holdings Ltd.
This company is responsible for the day to day running of the building, using a Cost Of Services account, which is funded annually by a Service Charge on each flat, which is calculated by reference to the size of each flat. The shares can only be transferred with the sale of an apartment, thus every flat owner or ‘leaseholder’ has input to how the block is run.
Marine Gate Holdings is represented by a board of directors who are elected at the Annual General Meeting in June. Any leaseholder can be nominated as a director and Marine Gate currently has a board with a wide range of backgrounds including building, banking, healthcare and civil engineering. Directors give their time unpaid.
Major maintenance of the building is financed through a reserve fund, which is contributed to as part of the annual Service Charge. Recent projects and those planned include:
- comprehensive re-wiring of the lighting and emergency lighting in the building common ways (complete)
- installation of a new fire alarm system (complete)
- various structural repairs to the building (ongoing)
- external redecoration of the building (completed 2019)
- upgrade works to the passenger and goods lifts (to be phased over several years to minimise disruption)
Directors have prepared a summary of the provisions of the lease for guidance to all residents.
It is a useful summary to help us all. You can download it here.