During the Second World War, not all of the flats were let. Those which had no private tenants were used as accommodation for naval personnel who could not be housed in Roedean School, which at that time was temporarily known as HMS Vernon. The adjacent gasworks at Black Rock became a German target, and as a result Marine Gate was bombed on a number of occasions during the war. Eventually it was damaged to such an extent that it could no longer be occupied without major repairs. The building was vacated and was left empty for the remainder of the war. After the war, Marine Gate was repaired and reoccupied. However times had changed and the market for serviced apartments had disappeared. The restaurant and the bar and their related facilities were converted into the additional flats that exist today, and the shops soon became garages to be held on a separate leases.
The above information is based on an article written by former manager Mr M Nixon, which originally featured in Marine Gate News in March 1989.
Below are images of the damage sustained by Marine Gate on 25 May 1943, the last and most devastating attack on the building.