Copyright Marine Gate Holdings 2014. Disclaimer
The site on which Marine Gate now stands was purchased by the Borough of Brighton from local land owners on 26 May 1931. The site was leased to Marine Parade Estates (1936) Limited with permission to build a block of flats.
Marine Gate was opened on 5th May 1939, by the Mayor of Brighton, Councillor J Talbot Nanson. Upon opening Marine Gate, was described as 'a new building of 120 Modern Flats in a perfect situation on the South Downs Cliffs directly facing the sea'.
The architects, Messrs. Wimperis, Simpson & Guthrie FF.R.I.B.A., of South Molton Street, London W1 , included a restaurant and cocktail bar in their design, hence there were then fewer flats available than there are to-day. At the time of its completion in 1939, there were to be no owner-occupiers. All the flats were to be rented on 3, 5 or 7 year leases, at rents of between £140 and £475 per annum.
The Owner's Managing agents at the time were Messrs Fox & Sons, who had a letting office on the premises.
The nine flats now identified as Flats R1 to R9 originally formed a part of the main Restaurant, together with a bar and accommodation for the kitchen, the staff and other associated support facilities. A Silver Grill Restaurant was located in what is now Garage No. 38, and the other integral garages in the West Wing were originally designed and built as shops. The flats currently identified as Flats A9 and A10 were originally part of a grand Main Entrance Hall.
The present Flat A12 was initially used as office accommodation. The present General Office was fitted out as a telephone exchange for the entire building, with exchange lines to all flats, since none of them then had dedicated private lines.
Artist's impression from the original marketing brochure. Click here for more material.
Marine Gate on opening in 1939.
Marine Gate shortly after opening
Click here to see the article on the opening of Marine Gate in the Brighton and Hove Herald.